Chips are going in.

Live Discussion

This is a live discussion for both members and guests. Please no soliciting, sharing of personal information, or obscenity. The latest replies are at the bottom.
EnochWalked: "Ben Gvir on Wednesday claimed a major change has been instituted to the fragile status quo on Jerusalem’s Temple Mount, saying he prays at the site and that Jewish prayer is allowed at the site, despite a decades-long ban on the practice." Jul 25, 2024 16:32:37 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/07/25/north-korean-hackers-stole-military-secrets-fbi-reveals/ "Hunt launched for members of ‘malicious cyber group’ after US nuclear information is targeted". Yet somehow OpenAI's security is even worse. Jul 25, 2024 17:01:59 GMT -6
yardstick: @ew, re: nukes - setting aside the 'common sense' argument for a moment, detonating a nuke would inherently violate at least once of the three principles I outlined earlier... since you would contaminate the air, land and water of someone else... Jul 25, 2024 18:12:01 GMT -6
yardstick: ...simply from the fallout. unless someone has a sure-fire way to control global air currents? 8-) Jul 25, 2024 18:12:54 GMT -6
yardstick: @ew, re: coins: those are british pence, not US coins; and so while interesting, your statement might be misconstrued by some who dont actually read the article. Jul 25, 2024 18:20:01 GMT -6
EnochWalked: @ys I think we're agreed that governments are justified in banning the detonation of nukes, but it sounds like you were suggesting that the mere possession of nukes doesn't amount to a concrete harm that a government should be able to forbid. Jul 25, 2024 22:03:15 GMT -6
EnochWalked: It's true that an un-detonated nuke (or TNT) doesn't hurt anyone, just as it's true that breaking the speed limit on an empty public road doesn't harm anyone, and I can concede that it is an infringement on citizens' liberty to ban those activities. Jul 25, 2024 22:06:12 GMT -6
EnochWalked: My point is that, sadly, governments have to place "guardrails" well beyond actually harmful acts, that make it illegal for citizens to bring about situations where harms become "too likely". Owning a super-intelligent AI is, I believe, such a situation. Jul 25, 2024 22:09:54 GMT -6
EnochWalked: Unfortunately, even if the majority of people agreed with me about that, it would be difficult for a government to actually write such guardrail legislation for AI. No one knows what capabilities an AI has until it has been widely used, usually remotely. Jul 25, 2024 22:13:00 GMT -6
EnochWalked: As the act of talking to an AI is arguably a type of free speech or association, and even the data in the AI's brain is arguably a type of written "speech" by the developers, the constitutionality could be challenged. Then there's the jurisdiction issues. Jul 25, 2024 22:15:41 GMT -6
EnochWalked: Anyway, I also take your point about the ambiguity of the quote I chose for the article about pennies. If it weren't for the 256 character limit, I might have specified "[UK] Treasury officials". It was aimed at those who think Charles is an AC candidate. Jul 25, 2024 22:21:49 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australia-canada-and-new-zealand-call-for-an-immediate-ceasefire-to-end-catastrophic-human-suffering-in-gaza-20240726-p5jwwv.html "We fully stand behind the comprehensive ceasefire deal, outlined by President Biden" Jul 26, 2024 8:55:08 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.ncronline.org/vatican/view-vatican/busy-week-three-potential-future-popes "Some conservative-leaning cardinals now see [Pietro Parolin, aged 69] as the most reliable candidate" to replace Francis. This cardinal was in Ukraine this past week. Jul 26, 2024 11:04:06 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.vox.com/future-perfect/360952/summer-travel-airport-facial-recognition-scan "Traveling this summer? Maybe don’t let the airport scan your face. You have the right to opt out of facial recognition tech. Here’s how." Jul 27, 2024 1:21:01 GMT -6
EnochWalked: If there's a new 9/11 attack (or close call, possibly a false flag), the government will make the face scans mandatory, along with Read ID. Or maybe airlines will "independently" all agree that face scanning is cheaper for them, so they'll require it. Jul 27, 2024 1:25:55 GMT -6
EnochWalked: Once facial Real ID verification is used for everything from flying to voting to collecting welfare, it will mean over 90% of Americans will be in the system. At that point no one will complain about making it 100%. Will be used to deport the undocumented. Jul 27, 2024 1:28:08 GMT -6
EnochWalked: The tech will get rolled out to everything from stadiums to schools to grocery stores (to prevent terrorist attacks, mass shootings, and shoplifting). Then the president will use war powers or eminent domain to control which IDs (i.e. people) are valid. Jul 27, 2024 1:32:35 GMT -6
EnochWalked: An interesting view of what it's like knowing government secrets: www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2010/02/daniel-ellsberg-limitations-knowledge/ "whole libraries of hidden information, which is much more closely held than mere top secret data," Jul 27, 2024 3:43:02 GMT -6
EnochWalked: "you will feel like a fool for having studied, written, talked about these subjects, criticized and analyzed decisions made by presidents for years without having known of the existence of all this information" Jul 27, 2024 3:44:22 GMT -6
EnochWalked: "you’ll feel foolish for having literally rubbed shoulders for over a decade with some officials... who did have access to all this information you didn’t know about & didn’t know they had, and you’ll be stunned that they kept that secret from you so well" Jul 27, 2024 3:45:38 GMT -6
Chat as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel